Thursday, July 26, 2012

When Your Super Boobs are Broken

From the time I was pregnant with my first son, there was really no question that I would breastfeed my babies. We all know about the health benefits, immunities, blah blah blah (though I would like to interject that the whole "weight loss" thing is a lie).

Yes, those are part of the reason that I decided to nurse my little ones. But if I am being honest, I did it because it was easy. It's pretty much a given that your baby will wake up at night. Who wants to actually get out of bed and go downstairs to measure out a bottle? Your baby will undoubtedly leave the house. Who wants to lug bottles and water and powder formula around in their already-crowded diaper bag? Babies puke all over you, all the time. Breastmilk puke does not stain - no extra laundry!

I am lazy. I like easy and simple - breastfeeding, for me, was perfect.

When you are a nursing mom, your boobs are instantly transformed into "Super Boobs". Hungry baby? Insert boob. Tired baby? Insert boob. Overstimulated baby? Insert boob. Sick baby? Insert boob. You have the the perfect feeding/comforting/put-cranky-baby-to-sleep tool right there in your plastic-clip voodoo bra.

With Emmy - my super boobs are clearly broken. She cries. A lot. Red in the face, body clenched, high-pitched SCREAMING cries. And she has recently given up napping for some reason unbeknownst to me. Nowadays, the only way she will sleep at night is on my chest. My back aches. I'm tired. My stress level is through.the.roof.

Super boob tricks do not work with Emmy. Nursing doesn't calm her. Sometimes, she starts her fits mid-feeding. (This probably breaks some sort of breastfeeding law, I am sure.) Nursing does not allow her to drift off to dreamland and stay there for hours. Super boobs do work for her when she is bored, however. I cannot wear her in a sling without her trying to latch on, even if I just fed her before putting her in there.


Nothing to see while wandering around with mom at the park? Hey... where did I put that boob?

For those moms with more than one baby - you know that this is less than ideal. Chasing a toddler and preschooler while wearing your baby is hard enough... chasing a toddler and a preschooler while wearing a baby attached to your most tender appendage is downright exhausting.

So what is a mama to do when the #1 tool in her baby care arsenal is not working?

Anyone? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment