Friday, May 4, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...

So this week has not gone the way it should have gone.
Eh, scratch that. I guess there is no real way that things should go, but it certainly has not gone according to plan. Well, at least not my plan! Maybe God's plan.

Mason has been sick. It started Tuesday night. He had a low fever - just felt a bit warm. He kept pointing to his mouth, so I assumed teething. Gave him some Tylenol and he did okay.

By Wednesday, he had a rash. So we visited the pediatrician. Sinus infection. Antibiotics. I can handle that!

By Thursday morning, at around 4 am, he had a fever of 105.1. With about an hour of sleep, I went to the grocery store to get him ibuprofen, as Tylenol was not helping his fever at all. Fever broke, we all got some sleep. I was able to keep the fever down most of Thursday with a cool bath and medicine.

This morning, his fever was back to 104.9. Sigh. At least we got some sleep last night! But needless to say - we were back at the pediatrican's office this morning.

The doctor was fantastic. We reviewed all of Mason's doctor appointments, ER visits, urgent care visits - you name it, we went through charts, spoke of symptoms and tried to piece together what is happening. You see, this is not a new occurance for Masey. He has had a fever of 105 four times so far this year. What we noticed is that each time a fever presents, it's accompanied by viral symptoms. The doctor thinks that Mason has an extreme febrile reaction to most common viruses that would simply cause a runny nose in other kids. So for now, we need to keep him comfortable when he gets sick, treat his fever with ibuprofen as I have been doing, and be a bit more cautious. We need to wash our hands more frequently, try to avoid other (obviously) sick people. And we will continue to track his illnesses, symptoms and fevers to see if we notice any further correllation. As of now, however, it does not look to be an auto-immune problem. So that is good news!

With Mason being so sick, I've been home all week. Which has been good and bad. I am thankful that I don't have to worry about working, finding childcare and taking care of my sick little guy. But I am also feeling a bit frustrated and trapped. Even though I'm a stay at home mom, the boys and I really try to get out of the house every day, even if we just wash the car, visit the lobsters at the grocery store or take a walk. And we play in the yard often now that it's warmer out. But we've been inside. Yesterday was a pajama and movies kind of day. I ordered pizza for lunch.

Needless to say, I haven't been cleaning like I should. All of my organization - which I was so proud to accomplish last week - has gone to crap. We missed our mom group park date on Wednesday. I haven't been able to cook or bake. BUT - I have gotten in extra snuggles and quality time with the boys. So maybe the best laid plans aren't really always the best plans, anyhow!

No comments:

Post a Comment